Author Topic: Role Play  (Read 9260 times)

SugarD

• Argonath RPG Dev/Manager
  • Tester
  • STOP IN THE NAME OF THE COLESLAW!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
Re: Role Play
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:36:33 pm »
The way you say many of the RP servers "aren't completed" is a concern. I have been part of other games where players relied too much on mods to role play.
Argonath RPG is making a LU server, and the community not only disallows mods that give any kind of advantage, but they do not use server-side mods or anything that requires a major change to the game for unique feelings aside from the obvious design of their text-based scripts and vehicle locations. It's one of the few communities that doesn't force you to download any mods to play there, and is actually against ever doing such.

Thijn

• Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »
I don't think he meant that kind of mods, I think he means scripts.
You can roleplay as much as you want without any script.
(Although I must say I find it more fun with it, since that requires more people to role play instead of just a few in a server)

SugarD

• Tester
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:45 pm »
(Although I must say I find it more fun with it, since that requires more people to role play instead of just a few in a server)
Well, the focus of Argonath RPG is to use scripts to enhance roleplay, not rely on them to do it for you, which is what the Vision of the community states. Unfortunately some users try to do the opposite anyway, but it won't be happening with Argonath RPG's LU server ;)

Thijn

• Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 09:24:45 am »
Well, the focus of Argonath RPG is to use scripts to enhance roleplay, not rely on them to do it for you, which is what the Vision of the community states. Unfortunately some users try to do the opposite anyway, but it won't be happening with Argonath RPG's LU server ;)
Then why it's taking so long xD

stormeus

• No-Lifer
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
We're writing everything from scratch while looking at and implementing community ideas, plus the script has to be approved by one of the owners. There's also testing the script to make sure there aren't any hiccups on release.
Morphine says:
    them LU devs ranting about how LU doesn't have client pickups
    while us VC:MPers don't have client anything
    ;_;

Stormeus Argo says:
    we have client crashes though
    ohohohohoho

Morphine says:
    LU DOESN'T HAVE THAT

Stormeus Argo says:
    LU - 0
    VC:MP - 1

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 09:47:23 pm »
Although there are different 'forms' of roleplay (such as light, medium, strict, RPG, etc), a player's view on how it should be played can differ from player to player, which gives roleplay it's unique value of creativity.

Varying different interpretations on a subject are the key to creativity and new concepts.

SugarD

• Tester
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 12:00:10 am »
Although there are different 'forms' of roleplay (such as light, medium, strict, RPG, etc), a player's view on how it should be played can differ from player to player, which gives roleplay it's unique value of creativity.

Varying different interpretations on a subject are the key to creativity and new concepts.
Well that's exactly why Argonath RPG's views on it are very open and non-specific. :)

Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 12:24:07 am »
What system is used on the A.M.X server that is sometimes up?

TheMoonLightman

• [GLT] clan member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:23 am »
New Roleplay server is Real Theft Auto. But I don't know it's password :( It's good to know it
LU 4ever)))

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 07:01:48 am »
Real Theft Auto is my server ... It was a project I was working on, but its now [GLT] Roleplay

VetalYA

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »
My server also a bit roleplay, but... after many gameplay hours with others, i have a thought that

1. Some part  of players dont know how to play ( even with a lot of instructions on the server),
2. Other  part is very lazy to Role Play and / or, only deathmatches in their heads.
3. And the last one part (10 % of 100), is trolls & hackers, they ruin game for everyone (maybe my server experienced this only because, he have unique & interesting gamemode, and some "dark players" or "dark admins" dont like this, and by this reason they attack my server with very exotic ingame hacks).

But Anyway...

All Roleplay servers have to be secured with advanced anti hack system ( can be scripted via squirrel ), otherwise, server online always would be close to zero... It's my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:54:02 pm by VetalYA »

SugarD

• Tester
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 08:52:40 pm »
My server also a bit roleplay, but... after many gameplay hours with others, i have a thought that

1. Some part  of players dont know how to play ( even with a lot of instructions on the server),
2. Other  part is very lazy to Role Play and / or, only deathmatches in their heads.
3. And the last one part (10 % of 100), is trolls & hackers, they ruin game for everyone (maybe my server experienced this only because, he have unique & interesting gamemode, and some "dark players" or "dark admins" dont like this, and by this reason they attack my server with very exotic ingame hacks).

But Anyway...

All Roleplay servers have to be secured with advanced anti hack system ( can by sctipted via squirrel ), otherwise, server online always would be close to zero... It's my opinion.
Well every community is going to run into the internet's weirdest and most horrible people, but all you can do is fight it the best way you can. Anti-Hack systems are nice to have, but the issue is that if you don't use your own custom-made one, someone is going to come along and download it, only to exploit it by finding it's weaknesses or figuring out how it works to bypass it. HOWEVER, sharing your ideas on systems that could prevent such malicious attacks WITHOUT publicly sharing the way you coded it would keep you protected and make it much harder to crack...especially when many are using the same methods of prevention, but are coded in multiple, varying ways.

VetalYA

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »
Quote from: SugarD
Well every community is going to run into the internet's weirdest and most horrible people, but all you can do is fight it the best way you can. Anti-Hack systems are nice to have, but the issue is that if you don't use your own custom-made one, someone is going to come along and download it, only to exploit it by finding it's weaknesses or figuring out how it works to bypass it. HOWEVER, sharing your ideas on systems that could prevent such malicious attacks WITHOUT publicly sharing the way you coded it would keep you protected and make it much harder to crack...especially when many are using the same methods of prevention, but are coded in multiple, varying ways.

Thank you for your reply  ;)  Here is mine if you don't mind :)

About 98% of code is mine (the rest one is from this forum). I am pretty shure, there is no more exploits or errors in my gamemode.

Exotic ingame hacks example (which is not depend on server gamemode):

1. When playerid 0 is very far away or close to other players, suddenly, playerid 0 get killed by other player. Event onPlayerKill ouputs reason = WEP_VEHICLE. Anyone can be a victim & killer. For example, i was far away from players, & i was  killer in many cases.

2. hackers can Teleport You Or Anyone to Any Location.

3. hackers Can Put you in Car as Driver or Passenger Without Animation.

4. hackers Can Set Your Health to 0.

All above hacks i have experienced on myself. Please, do not blame my gamemode. I've been doing & testing it (with clean & kind players) for 3 months, I know how he should work...

+ http://forum.liberty-unleashed.co.uk/index.php?topic=884.0

Quote from: VetalYA
Let me introduce myself a little bit as a scripter.

I play in SA-MP 2007 - 2009
I Script for SA-MP: 2008 - 2010
I Script in PHP (WEB) 2009 - 2011

So, i know a lot of how to write script correctly

PS, I know how to stop most of hachers, but it's can take a lot of time.

PS2, It's very emotional post, don't you think ?  ;D   ;)

SugarD

• Tester
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »
Many of the hacks you have described happen all over the place. They are even common to the Argonath RPG community's SA:MP server, being that it's so popular and well-known, so malicious users just love to attack people in it. The Fake-Kill hacks are especially annoying for RP communities because kills can be scripted to have specified actions or punishments take place as a result.

Thijn

• Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:11 pm »
ok what the hell. How can a client side hack teleport other players? This should be flagged as bugs, or blame your gamemode.

© Liberty Unleashed Team.