Author Topic: Requesting a ban from the masterlist  (Read 10408 times)

VRocker

• Liberty Unleashed Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Madnight Software
Re: Requesting a ban from the masterlist
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »
ok so i jsut got around to looking at this. All i can say is WTF... and not to you guys but to us...

Something was enabled in the client-side squirrel scripts which allowed this. No idea who did it (it may have been me in the early hours of the morning...) but those functions have now been removed. Atleast i hope thats what they were using otherwise i'll have to have another look.

Oh and with regards to the XP discussion in the topic, Get off XP you pleb. An XP box can be compromised in seconds and its actually what we use to teach apprentices security where i work. We setup a bench of XP machines and show them how they can be broken without even touching them. And yes, they have all the updates, a firewall and an up-to-date antivirus installed.
Plus, it's a pain to maintain software for XP these days. Chances are that the next LU update, which fixes these issues, won't work with XP. Mainly because it's effort to install the stupid XP targetting pack in VS2015. My current test builds will not run on anything older than Vista. The upsides to this is there are certain security and performance features which can now be activated.

Dropping XP support is to save you guys who insist on staying on it. If you have a machine that runs XP, DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET.

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »
I don't know anybody who uses a computer that's 15 years old, so why do people insist on using an OS that's just as old?

It'd be like running a car with way too many miles. Eventually, it's not safe for the road.

SugarD

• Argonath RPG Dev/Manager
  • Tester
  • STOP IN THE NAME OF THE COLESLAW!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 09:18:20 pm »
I don't know anybody who uses a computer that's 15 years old, so why do people insist on using an OS that's just as old?

It'd be like running a car with way too many miles. Eventually, it's not safe for the road.
People don't like change. Installing a new OS means learning everything all over again, and that also increases the chance of programs breaking or malfunctioning. Vista and above is also a huge learning curve to users that have only used XP before. Regardless, I agree. They need to upgrade immediately.

Piterus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 10:47:18 pm »
LU logic:
GTA III can be run on Windows 98. Unofficial multiplayer can be run only on system about 10 years later..
Good luck in creating a community of players :| (3 players online at the time of writing the post. Very probably with e.g XP). By the way, very interesting when you played the last time in the multiplayer more than 5 minutes.

SugarD

• Tester
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 11:07:05 pm »
LU logic:
GTA III can be run on Windows 98. Unofficial multiplayer can be run only on system about 10 years later..
Good luck in creating a community of players :| (3 players online at the time of writing the post. Very probably with e.g XP). By the way, very interesting when you played the last time in the multiplayer more than 5 minutes.
Considering a majority of the world runs Windows 7 and above, they should not be using Windows 98 or XP. If you are on Windows 98, you desperately need to upgrade. Windows 98 by default doesn't even support CPU's over 2.0GHz on purpose.

And by your logic, we should have stopped playing GTA III back in the late 1990's.

AdTec_224

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 11:13:46 pm »
LU logic:

You're an idiot. Just because GTA III runs on an OS well over 10 years old doesn't mean we should still support an OS even Microsoft themselves have dropped support for, hell even GTA modding tools are dropping XP support an example of that would be Magic.TXD.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:27:21 am by AdTec_224 »

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 11:56:35 pm »
Piterus logic:
Everybody needs to use Windows 98 just because GTA 3 can run on it. Oh, by the way, we live in a time where it's unsafe but oh well, at least you can run GTA 3, right?

Now, where did I put the meme about that professor from Futurama that says "I don't want to live on this planet anymore?"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ankris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:35 am »
Now, where did I put the meme about that professor from Futurama that says "I don't want to live on this planet anymore?"

Piterus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 01:17:42 am »
You're an idot.

If you've been insulting someone, do it without errors. Im not interested in your opinion about me. This is not the main subject here.

That's what happens in LU best captures the counter online players and migration players to other MP. Nothing more.

Btw, your last post here was in 2014. You are very active here. Wb.

AdTec_224

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 01:33:52 am »
Yes i will admit that was pretty embarrassing :-[ but my point still stands and as VRocker said XP machines shouldn't even be online nowadays they are far too vulnerable to attack. What does activity have to do with this? this entire mod hasn't been active for about the same length of time but that's 'not the main subject here'.

synapse

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
how about debian machines?

ermaccer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 09:18:56 pm »
You abandon XP for simple reason, nut enough skillz to write good security code.
It's like this "hey hey, we don't need to care about XP plebs, we will ignore them and say that our code won't work there"
Mainly because it's effort to install the stupid XP targetting pack in VS2015.
This isn't a reason at all.
An XP box can be compromised in seconds and its actually what we use to teach apprentices security where i work
Maybe you was responsible for all those "attacks"?

AdTec_224

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 12:49:20 am »
You abandon XP for simple reason, nut enough skillz to write good security code.
It's like this "hey hey, we don't need to care about XP plebs, we will ignore them and say that our code won't work there".

Yes that totally must be it</sarcasm> i mean it's not like more than half our dev team work as software developers for proper companies.

Mainly because it's effort to install the stupid XP targetting pack in VS2015.
This isn't a reason at all.

What is a good enough reason is the performance and security features we can use by targeting an OS that isn't over a decade old.

There is and NEVER will be a good reason to continue supporting XP.

SugarD

• Tester
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 01:56:18 am »
You do realize that XP itself is the security issue here, and not LU, right?

XP itself is the limitation against better security protocols. Microsoft itself ended support for it for a reason...

Piterus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 02:46:10 pm »

This Poll was 9 July 2014. I wonder what percentage of players in LU has a XP system now. 36,7% to 43,4% (11 to 13/30 players) is pretty much in multiplayer with a very small community of players.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:50:12 pm by Piterus »

© Liberty Unleashed Team.