Author Topic: Requesting a ban from the masterlist  (Read 10427 times)

SugarD

• Argonath RPG Dev/Manager
  • Tester
  • STOP IN THE NAME OF THE COLESLAW!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
Re: Requesting a ban from the masterlist
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 04:50:56 pm »

This Poll was 9 July 2014. I wonder what percentage of players in LU has a XP system now. 36,7% to 43,4% (11 to 13/30 players) is pretty much in multiplayer with a very small community of players.

Not only are there way more than 30 unique players using LU, but as you said yourself, that is from 2014. It is now mid 2016, and numerous OS releases have come about since that time. Using that poll today is like saying the number of people using a cell phone in the 80's is still the same number of people using them today. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry to say, but XP is old and outdated. It is unsafe. There is absolutely no reason to stay on it. Even MS ended support for running it in a VM because nearly every old program that exists which ran on it will run in the newer OS'es too. Sticking to XP is just asking to be hacked. It has been out for far too long now, and it is no longer receiving updates.

I, myself, have a copy of XP along with several other OS'es on a hard drive somewhere, but I wouldn't dare use it as my primary one anymore. That would just be pure stupidity. The cost of newer OS'es is so cheap at this point that not upgrading would be insanity.

Piterus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »
Using that poll today is like saying the number of people using a cell phone in the 80's is still the same number of people using them today. It just doesn't make sense.

In 2014 was exactly the same problem and the same arguments.

Maybe I ask otherwise. Do you think after " new update" LU will have more players than now? What if not?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:48:54 pm by Piterus »

SugarD

• Argonath RPG Dev/Manager
  • Tester
  • STOP IN THE NAME OF THE COLESLAW!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »
Using that poll today is like saying the number of people using a cell phone in the 80's is still the same number of people using them today. It just doesn't make sense.

In 2014 was exactly the same problem and the same arguments.

Let's see...I wonder why:

After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014.

Maybe I ask otherwise. Do you think after " new update" LU will have more players than now? What if not?

That is not really relevant to the argument you are trying to make. I get that you are implying less people will play because they are using Windows XP, but most of those people have probably already moved on to newer OS'es, or don't play LU at all anymore.

As for the actual question, yes, I do. Progress tends to attract users.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:51:09 pm by SugarD »

AdTec_224

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 07:36:10 pm »
So you link to that poll and say 'look some players are still on XP' alright fair enough BUT there is a bigger percentage NOT on XP, so what you're actually implying is, you want us to continue to support XP for the few people still living in the stone age while people with more modern OS'es loose out on the performance and security enhancements available when dropping support.

Piterus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:10 pm »
Well, I don't need to know anything more. XP users will stop playing, just as you don't play for a few years. Indifferent to you how many players will play. In the end, it's an old problem (here and surely few others topics). Now, nobody protests, because no one plays. Gratz and good luck with that attitude in relations to the players. ** Progress tends to attract users.**
Pround User Windows 8.1

AdTec_224

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 12:03:14 am »
Well, I don't need to know anything more. XP users will stop playing, just as you don't play for a few years. Indifferent to you how many players will play. In the end, it's an old problem (here and surely few others topics). Now, nobody protests, because no one plays. Gratz and good luck with that attitude in relations to the players. ** Progress tends to attract users.**
Pround User Windows 8.1

See that makes it sound like we don't care about our players, but we do. This change is for the betterment of the community and will only improve the mod, better performance and security enhancements can only help stablize the mod and thus the end users (you) will have a better experience.

The_GTA

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 08:02:14 am »
Why Magic.TXD has dropped XP support:

We want to provide the best quality tool for our most capable users. But the Windows XP features destroyed many things (no SRW locks, separate CRT, ...). This is long after official MS support ended. Windows XP has always been dreaded by developers as black sheep. So we cut it.

I am glad LU is doing the right thing. People, please update to at least Win 7.

Also I would like to comment on this file modification capability. I find it most worrying that there is no security feature that prevents modifying the OS or the game itself.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:07:56 am by The_GTA »

AdTec_224

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 10:50:15 pm »
Also I would like to comment on this file modification capability. I find it most worrying that there is no security feature that prevents modifying the OS or the game itself.

This issue has been addressed and will be in the next update, I have no idea why Squirrels IO library was ever included clientside to begin with.

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 10:54:13 pm »
Has the issue with random LUID hacks been addressed as well?

I think a LUID CRC check on connect would be nice, to make sure they aren't able to use a random one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ankris

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2016, 05:52:41 pm »

© Liberty Unleashed Team.