Author Topic: LH-MP cancelled [Rant-ish]  (Read 4991 times)

Theremin

• Worst Server Owner
    • View Profile
    • Visit my YouTube channel
LH-MP cancelled [Rant-ish]
« on: February 22, 2016, 05:51:29 pm »
To my surprise and disappointment today I discovered Lost Heaven Multiplayer also known as Mafia 1 Multiplayer project has been cancelled. I wasn't able to access its website for weeks, and thought it was a problem on my side until I looked for informations and found nothing but this post, written by Romop5 in a popular mafia modding forum:
As for our website, the domain has expired. If you asked me why I let it happen, I'd replied with this:
1. The project is flawed, messy organized and has risen into a huge portion of source code.
2. The fact that we are bugged probably implies that LHMP is an unpopular project, being played only by a few Mafia fanatics
3. None of developers (counting me) cares anymore. The development has been dead since Sept 2015.

As you can see, it doesn't make much sense for me to pay for domain and VPS and let others think we are doing something. Unfortunately, we don't.

Although perceived as unsuccessful, this project has given me a lot of experience from various kinds of programming arts.
Now the main purpose of this topic was just to announce it and make it more visible, since I know I'm not the only one who was wondering what happened. Now I can only say it's a pity, I was looking forward to it a lot, and had fun playing it during the first public tests. I don't know how Romop5 could call this project unsuccessful, as they were working on it until few months ago. If he needed help in the development he might have announced it before letting the website expire and seek help from the community, if the project was on hold, as he said he was busy with his last year in school he might have kept working in the free time at anytime, I think nothing would have forced him to update it constantly, and if he really wasn't interested anymore, he could have open sourced it, maybe nothing was going to happen, but if nothing it's a chance for someone to keep working on it, and not letting others losing faith and dropping all the work that has been done. Last but not least I'm aware of the fact that a developer might be disappointed to see that less players than he expected are playing in his multiplayer, but can we still deem this as a failure? As long as there is still one and only one, playing in a multiplayer are we allowed to throw everything in the garbage? I don't want to criticize him more, but I really wish he would change his mind and step back, as this looks nothing but a not very pondered move after a sudden thought.

rwwpl

• LU-DM Team
    • View Profile
    • LU-DM Team
Re: LH-MP cancelled [Rant-ish]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 06:17:16 pm »
Bad news :(
Hope LU won't end like LH-MP. In the end for now, website is still working.

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »
Yeah, I made an (unfinished) RP script for it too. Damnit.
https://github.com/VortrexFTW/lhmp_roleplay

I talked to Romop5 on Skype ... I was trying to see if he'd let somebody else continue it or release the source so the mod can live. Not sure what his intentions are at this point though, other than giving up.

Theremin

• Worst Server Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:44:50 pm »
@Vortrex, he wrote that he doesn't use Skype any longer, contact him via Steam if you have it.

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:41 pm »
I know ... He was on Skype that day and we had a conversation. He hasn't been on it since.

Theremin

• Worst Server Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:46 pm »
Disclaimer: Don't take this as an official announcement, I just had a chat with a LH:MP tester and this is what I obtained.

First the bad news: LH-MP is dead.

Now the good ones: Davo (LH-MP developer) and another guy who goes by the nick of Stym are working on a new multiplayer for Mafia. Hell knows how many years will pass by before we will be able to play Mafia with friends again, but I wanna keep a positive attitude and cross my fingers for them.

NC

• cipa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
That's a pity! I wanted to check this mod some time ago but always had more important things to do. I'm sad they canceled it. But they did a great job, making a true (more or less) multiplayer for Mafia 1, an amazing game.

I know the devs won't read it, but all I wanted to say is thank you and best of luck in the future.

Website online:
My YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/1234sdg131

VRocker

• Liberty Unleashed Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Madnight Software
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 03:23:55 pm »
That's a real shame, Mafia 1 was pretty cool and multiplayer for it would've been great (i never did try LH-MP). I did look into the possibvility of Mafia 2 MP once but it went nowhere.
If paying for hosting was one of the reasons that he shut it down, he could've give me a prod. I wouldn't have minded hosting the site to keep it alive for the community :)
Its always a shame when mods like this die. A lot of the time it's due to low player counts or lack of interest due to them being for old games.

Bad news :(
Hope LU won't end like LH-MP. In the end for now, website is still working.

While yes, we are pretty inactive with regards to development these days and LU does have issues and a low player count, we have no intention of shutting down the site, masterlist or anything else for the foreseeable future. The website etc just uses spare processing power on my servers so it really isnt costing anything to keep it running :)

Anyway, i wish the new developers good luck and i hope they manage to resurrect it! :)

Theremin

• Worst Server Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:52:30 pm »
I knew that my constancy to check the website almost everyday would lead to something, guys I suggest you go check LH-MP official site right now, there are some good news ;) and for those who don't remember the url, here it is: http://lh-mp.eu/

I edited this message because I felt like it wasn't being descriptive enough, basically LH-MP is dead for real but there is still a server online, Slavic Mafia, you can google it. By dead I mean that the development has stopped but they released all the files needed in order to play it and start a server, one can also script but the wiki is down though. They also confirmed there this new multiplayer mod being worked on, but I can't find any mention about it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:57:09 pm by Theremin »

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:41 pm »
Awesome!

Theremin

• Worst Server Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:51 am »
Good news! For anyone who's interested LH-MP has been open sourced!

Quote from: ZaKlaus
Hi there,
as you might already know, the project has been discontinued. Fortunately, the source code is publicly available and we still offer online masterlist for those that want to play it.

GitHub URL: https://github.com/LHMPTeam/lhmp

Binaries are also available on Our official web page.

Please note we won't provide any assistance with LH:MP anymore, you're on your own now. Don't hesitate to explore!

- Your LH:MP Team.

Quote from: ZaKlaus

lol200004 wrote:
Thx LH-MP team. Any news about the new developers of the multiplayer?

AFAIK, they want to reverse the whole game first, then do MP. I can't tell when or at what pace they progress with it.

As for status, he gave me the following link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxQjmrZeWxU

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 11:06:06 am »
Yeah, I'm glad they open sourced it. Maybe somebody can continue it. I checked it out a couple of months ago, but I haven't worked with C++ much and didn't have much time to mess with it.

As for the new developers, when I talked to Romop5 a while back (mentioned earlier in this thread), he said the new developers received a list of functions or something from the original game developers. Maybe this means they won't have to reverse the entire game. It would definitely speed up the development process.

© Liberty Unleashed Team.