Author Topic: Server for ARM processors  (Read 7670 times)

sasha19323

• View Profile
Server for ARM processors
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:01:12 pm »
It would be great if next version of server will support ARM processors(WinRT, Linux) :)

_TailS_

• Who seeks shall find...
    • View Profile
Re: Server for ARM processors
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:49:15 pm »
ARM Processors like they used in mobile devices  ::)

VRocker

• Liberty Unleashed Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Madnight Software
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »
While this could be possible (and i have actually made it happen... more on this down below) there really is no point in it.

The only devices that your average home user has that is ARM powered is a tablet and a smartphone, both of which would run Android, iOS or WinRT/Windows Phone. For these you would need to have a separate build for each OS and also rewrite a lot of code to make it work. Plus who would run a server on a tablet or phone?

I have managed to recompile the LU server, as well as the VCMP server, with no code changes and run them on a Raspberry Pi and it runs surprisingly well but you wouldn't really find these in data centres or buy one of these just to run a game server on. If there was enough demand we could look into releasing a Raspberry Pi build if enough people requested it but I doubt the demand would be high enough.

VRocker

• Liberty Unleashed Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Madnight Software
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »
Does anybody even provide ARM servers? Also the problem with ARM is there are many different kinds of ARM cpu all with slightly different instruction sets so you'd need to compile it for each type from what i remember.
If you have an ARM server what model does it run?

sasha19323

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »
"Actual kinds" of ARM procs are ARMv7 and ARMv8. ARMv7 is more popular. Rasp Pi based on ARMv7 processor

Nihau

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »
I have managed to recompile the LU server, as well as the VCMP server, with no code changes and run them on a Raspberry Pi and it runs surprisingly well but you wouldn't really find these in data centres or buy one of these just to run a game server on. If there was enough demand we could look into releasing a Raspberry Pi build if enough people requested it but I doubt the demand would be high enough.

I have a Raspberry Pi Model B (since Feb of 2013) and i need this LU ARM Server build for Raspberry PI

Seriously, why not? When x86 solutions like MinnowBoard too expensive from one side, from another qemu-i386 in order to run Server require too much i386 "dll" files ( like /lib/ld-linux.2.so  ), and one lib require many other, it seems it's endless process of searching libraries.

I  think you should  not expect too much requests for ARM Server, because many players came to LU only to play a game. I pretty sure, most of them even never heard about Linux :P

Code: [Select]
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 697.95
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 0***
Serial          : 0000************
I think, once LU Server gets compiled, he should not have any problems to run on ARMv6 rev 7 or any better (higher) ARM CPU.

vovanos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 12:50:52 pm »
Completely agree.

Code: [Select]
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 332.32
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 10

Hardware        : MT6575
Revision        : 65fb----
Serial          : 0000000000000000

sasha19323

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:26:53 pm »
Oh, looks like I am not the one, who want ARM version. You should do it, man  ;D

Nihau

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 02:27:56 pm »
You should do it
LU Server for ARM has been done since October 09, 2013, 05:59:42

Just take a look at this again:

I have managed to recompile the LU server, as well as the VCMP server, with no code changes and run them on a Raspberry Pi and it runs surprisingly well

The problem is, that LU team want to be sure in high demand of ARM version of the server. Plus i am not sure, what VRocker meant  by "if enough people requested it", is it 3, 10, 100, or 1000?

ARM server already exist on HDD of VRockers PC, but still, we all have to wait another few years, until LU team decide it's time to put ARM server tarball on the website.

So, lets just wait this few years and remember, try keep patience :)

Thijn

• Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 07:50:19 pm »
I think if you prod VRocker another time he wont mind recompiling the current server for ARM to test out.

Before an ARM build will be available for each build, and be put on the front page, there has to be a bit more demand then the 2 of you though..

Nihau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 03:12:21 pm »
I want to add "few words".

Yes, i understand that X86 is kind of standart CPU of nowadays, and VRocker dont want to maintain Server for ARM HardFloat and ARM SoftFloat. But, not publishing server for Raspberry PI is a big mistake.

Let's face the facts:

1) X86 processors is not popular anymore (like they were before). Now, most of people are happy with tablets  powered by ARM.

2) Raspberry Pi Foundation main goal were:

a. To Keep kids off the streets ( to protect them from smoking cigarrets, drinking alcohol, drugs, bad companies, and etc ).
b. They wanted to show to kids that coding "some stuff" (for example your own game on the Python) is fun.

c. Foundation wanted to create a very cheap PC, with acceptable price for the  everybody (for the whole world).

3) 2 500 000 Raspberry  Pi were sold around the world, soon will be 3 000 000.

4)  People use their Pi not only for educational purposes, many of owners   constantly searching  games and game servers that can be launched on their Raspberry Pi.

5. Raspbian ( one of the OS for the Raspberry Pi ) have anything you need:

a) Fresh: make 3.81 , GCC 4.6.3
b) Any (dev header) files can be installed through aptitude ( or apt-get ).

6) LU can get addition fame by creating ARM server version.

7) Sasha isnt the first one who requested server for ARM. On the MTA SA and SA-MP forums you can find  the same requests ( keyword to search "raspberry" ).

8) You cant expect too much demands from small community.

Conclusion:

The future is here. It's time to take some decisions: Additional fame ( with Raspberry Pi ) or money from hosting ( because potentially this can be happen).

P.S. I don't push and dont force anyone from the developers team  doing something. Words above is my honest opinion for that matter.

Thijn

• Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:00 pm »
Publishing an ARM server build wont contribute anything to playercount or servercount.
Not a lot of people will use it, and servers wont be running as good as on proper hosting.

Vortrex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
Publishing an ARM server build wont contribute anything to playercount or servercount.
Not a lot of people will use it, and servers wont be running as good as on proper hosting.

I agree.

© Liberty Unleashed Team.